POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Aug 2013 18:20:32
Message: <52095fb0@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2013 5:49 AM, Shay wrote:

> "Patrick Elliott" <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>
> This is going in circles.
>
> You say, "Government is evil and a tool for the rich."
>
> I say, "Then we need less government."
>
> You say, "No, we need more government, with more authority, because
> government is evil and a tool for the rich."
No, no, no, no. I am not saying we need "more". I am saying that simply
"less" doesn't bloody do anything except, usually, kill things you
actually do need, in some deluded attempt to fix the problem. Its bloody
insane, for example, to have 3-4 different departments, all working at
cross purposes with each other, to solve the same problem, because,
someplace back in time, there "might" have been difficulties in one
agency handling all of them, so they just tacked on more agencies, until
none of them could do their damn jobs, even if assholes where not
appointing people to run them, with the intent to make sure they can't.

But, the alternative always seems, stupidly enough, to cut agencies to
the bone, so that, even if they could have, handled the work of the
other 3, they now can't because they have a) had their staff cut by
stupid amounts, b) their hands tied with a lot of convenient
legislation, which stops them from using what they do have efficiently
(like certain rules in place for gun enforcement, where is you are lucky
enough that a state has the data on file, you are gold, but the federal
agencies are not **allowed** their own DB, and there is now specific law
*requiring* that all sellers file paperwork in a sale. It doesn't matter
how big/small, corrupt of otherwise, something is, if the only way it
can work is by **becoming corrupt** and bending/breaking the law, to do
the job in the first place, or.. at least for how ever long it takes for
someone to give them a legal loophole, to do it anyway.), and c) whole
swaths of the agency have to close down, limiting their enforcement.

Oh, and that is without mentioning, of course, BS like the law
protecting "food supplements and natural products", which can rob
agencies, already over worked, and understaffed, of the right to even
enforce anything in the first place.

EFFECTIVE government, not just bloody smaller. What do people not get
about that idea?